Thursday, June 21, 2007

implant data


Soon, you will be able to swallow an iPod RFID implant, that will beam your music library to your iPod. If you walk by another person who has an implant, you can also get access to that person's music library. Along with several other technologies that perform the same basic function, this signals the introduction of a person becoming the receptacle for computer data. The most serious journalist could potentially keep all of his files inside his body, ridding him of the danger of being scooped.

Postman would be horrified. While to some people this would just be an easy way to make sure you are never without your favorite musical selection, Postman would see this as an affront to all that is holy, natural and good. Now, he would say, not only do we reverence technology, but we allow technology to literally become part of us. We have become slaves to technology, letting it take a place inside our bodies. For my part, though, I think this is an interesting idea. My computer holds all of my precious things: songs, photos, written thoughts and contacts with my friends all over the world. My computer has already become a big part of me, and if anything were to happen to it, I would be lost without all of the things it holds.

No comments: